Alltel.net is changing to Windstream.com

For a few of us in the industry, this slipped by us.

The Links:
Summary:
  • After May 15, 2009, you will no longer be able to use your @alltel.net e-mail address.
  • Windstream has created a new @windstream.net address that is ready for use today.
  • Messages sent to your current @alltel.net address will also be copied to the new @windstream.net address until May
What's going on?

The Alltel.net domains and email addresses have changed to the Windstream.com domain.
Why?

Alltel, based in Little Rock, Ark., will morph from a full-service phone/Internet company into one that concentrates on wireless assets. It has spin off its old-fashioned wireline business (DSL), merged it with regional telco Valor Communications Group, and created Windstream. This is similar to how Sprint Nextel spun off its regional wireline business, now Embarq.

How does this effect you?

Well you need to send a re-confirmation email or postal mailer out to any customers you have on these domains to get them to update their new email address in your systems. Here are some examples.

Current Site New Site
  www.alltel.net www.windstream.net
  news.alltel.net news.windstream.net (effective 3/11)
  business.alltel.net business.windstream.net
  home.alltel.net home.windstream.net
  authmail.alltel.net smtp.windstream.net
  pop.alltel.net pop.windstream.net
  webmail.alltel.net webmail.windstream.net
  ftp.alltel.net ftp.windstream.net (effective 3/18)
  alltel.net windstream.net

To help you through this transition, Windstream has created a new @windstream.net address that is ready for use today. Your new address will be the same as your existing address, except that we've simply replaced @alltel.net with @windstream.net. For example, joecustomer@alltel.net now has a new address of joecustomer@windstream.net. As a further benefit, messages sent to your current @alltel.net address will also be copied to your new @windstream.net address until May 15.

This does NOT mean that you go into your database and just change people's domains on their email address. It is rumored that NOT all address/aliases will change.
tyle="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; ">

This is also a good time to send a re-confirmation on why that person signed up for your email's, what their current preferences are, what you have to offer them as they stay on (by updating their email address), and maybe even offer them other newsletters of emails they are currently not on.

-Dennis

Don't Just Send, Deliver!

Dennis Dayman

More posts by

Oracle | Eloqua

Don’t Just Send, Deliver!

6 Responses to “Alltel.net is changing to Windstream.com”

1. Amanda
    May 27, 2009 at 12:55 pm #

How are we to send a reconfirmation email, when the addresses are already outdated and bouncing, as per the info above?

2. Dennis Dayman
    May 27, 2009 at 1:02 pm #

my understanding is the email addresses haven't been turned off yet, but as I also said above you can use postal mail as well.

3. John at alltel... no, windstream... no, gmail for good
    May 31, 2009 at 1:12 am #

I hate email changes and was glad several years ago when it looked like I could keep my Alltel email even though Windstream bought them. Alas, it just meant another two years worth of registrations and email contacts to change now. I switched to gmail so I don't have to go through this crap again when Windstream sells out to who knows who. I miss the days when you could count on who your service provider would be. Signs of the times I guess.

4. John at alltel... no, windstream... no, gmail for good
    May 31, 2009 at 1:46 am #

P.S.

Amanda I'm afraid you are out of luck. My alltel address quit working on May 18th. For online registrations you will have to log in to the site and change your email. I changed most of mine before the switch cause I never kept good track of passwords and rely a lot on the password reset option which requires a valid email. Went through my old email to get a list. For what I missed I'll just have make new registrations as I run across them. Switch to gmail, yahoo, hotmail or something so you don't have to deal with it again. Windstream and Alltel won't buy your stamps. Wish you luck with the hassle.

John

5. tyler
    July 25, 2009 at 11:12 pm #

well im kinda screwd cuz my email for myspace was @alltel.net well when you go to change your email address it sends a message to you old email that you have to conferm well how am i sapoes to do this if its being sent to the @alltel.net one and i cant get to it. Does any one have any ideas on what to do?

6. t
    December 3, 2010 at 9:09 am #

Routing all old emails destined for foo@alltel.net to /dev/null after the domain change was weapons-grade stupid. Windstream, you are a bunch of id10t5.

For 2 years, your customers have been missing emails because they were stupid enough to think that you had a minimum level of competence somewhere in your organization. Since there is nary a bounce, the people sending them emails just think they're not speaking to them anymore, web accounts can't be re-set without the old email, yadda yadda yadda.

memo to windstream. You are soundly hated for this. I wish I knew what kind of car your CEO drove, so I could key it.

UA-9835597-1