Wave-logo

I'm very excited about Google Wave and have been playing
with the developer preview for a few months. On the one hand, I see how
this could someday replace much of current email conversations, IM,
Twitter,  and Campfire. I'm trying to figure out how this interacts
with deliverability. Do you think Wave will be used for
convesations and you'll still have an old school email address for
getting receipts, shipping notices, newsletters, new friend
notifications? Is it just the same game with a different name?

Please share your comments and suggestions! If
you're on Wave, my account name is "joshuabaer". I will send one Google
Wave invite to one of the people who comments on this blog post with a
suggestion.

Tags:

24 Responses to “What does Google Wave mean for deliverability? Get a Wave invite for commenting!”

1. Doreen DeJesus
    October 1, 2009 at 10:47 am #

Not sure yet since I haven't received an invite to view what it can or can't do. Would love to give you an answer once I see it.

Doreen

2. Gleb S.
    October 1, 2009 at 10:56 am #

To be honest, I don't think that Google Wave will imideately replace all of the already existing Email/ Msn/ Skype/ Facebook/ Twitter and other comminucation services. Though, In my opinion, it will gradually take over them, but it will ofcourse need some help from us, the users.

We will have to help start this up, invite our friends and of course discover new ways of using Google Wave. In my case I'm very interested in trying out new ways to help the community, though I wil have to wait for the public release since I haven' t got an invite.

I truly believe Google Wave will become dominent provider of Email/ IM/ Twitter etc. But it will need some time, and of course feedback!

Im looking forward to try it out one day, I was really blown away by the demo in Mai and can' t wait to log in!

3. Mark
    October 1, 2009 at 10:58 am #

I'd love to actually try this out and see if we could use it at our company rather than a Wiki… but I'm also hoping to be surprised to find other uses.

4. David F
    October 1, 2009 at 11:03 am #

If I am understanding the concept correctly (which is a big if!)

With everything on a home screen, could it actually mean improved deliverability for genuine commerical emails? With emails even more readily at hand than they are now, it is quite likely that users are more likely to engage with commericial emails without the nagging of having to log-in each and every time during their down time. Whether they are marking emails as spam or actually engaging with the mailings, the fact is that they are doing something which in itself is a god send for geuine marketeers and relevants mailings and hopefully another nail in the coffin of dirty spam artists.

5. Mary Motz
    October 1, 2009 at 11:04 am #

I tend to think there will always be a place for email.. but GW may eat up much of the really critical stuff of day to day communications.

As you suggest, email may be relegated to receipts, notices, etc.. Not unimportant, of course, just not as immediate as the conversations one would have on Google Wave. :-)

6. SteveM AKA PendragonUK
    October 1, 2009 at 11:06 am #

Here is a thing, 99% of my emails that I read are automated. Stuff I have asked for, Dilbert, news, and such. I use Twitter and have 1400 followers, I haven't a clue who any of these people are! but most think of Twitter as a new marketing medium. I'm signed up to five IM systems and have to run a multiple client just to keep in touch. I keep facebook just for people I know.

So what is Wave going to give me? Is it going to be another wet fish like GTalk that no one uses? Technically brilliant but ultimately useless? Because it will only work within it's own small limited circle?

7. Andrew
    October 1, 2009 at 11:07 am #

I think you're pretty spot on with the same game with just a different name. However, I think Google Wave will most certainly increase inbound responses and encourage conversation/sharing…Ideally with this time of interaction deliverability would and should be affected. With that being said, I don't have an account so I can't say for certain.

8. nicholas einstein
    October 1, 2009 at 11:07 am #

Twitter, IM, Social Networks, haven't replaced email, and while Google Wave does seem quite cool, I do not see it replacing email any time soon. From what I've read, it's pretty complex, and Google may actually have a rough time generating a positive network effect in the near term.

I could see wave being great for some conversations [group event discussions, planning, etc.], but not sure it will be appropriate for transactional and business communications.

Wave certainly seems like a disruptive technology, and I am quite psyched to check it out and learn more, but I believe the future of email is bright. Those of us concentrating on delivery probably still need to worry much more about the Gmail inbox than Wave.

9. beeps
    October 1, 2009 at 11:10 am #

currently, i use trillian to capture my twitter, fb, and all messengers in one location- i would like to see if google wave exceeds my expectations at bundling these along with email along without bogging down my day-to-day efficiency…
    let the games (and hopefully the invite) begin…and thanks for the opportunity to play along

10. J Rice
    October 1, 2009 at 11:11 am #

It may be the same game with a different name, but I think a strength is linkability to other google services, like your mail, rss, calendar, etc. I am stoked for the possibilities here.

11. James M.
    October 1, 2009 at 11:11 am #

Google Wave is an innovation like no other. The uses tha google wave can provide are endless and revolutionary! I think that Google Wave needs integrated SMS and mobile activity, though! If I could access something like it on my iPhone? That would be great!

12. Ian
    October 1, 2009 at 11:14 am #

I don't see wave as anything more than Google's "wall." It has a slick new UI enabled by HTML 5.0 but really doesn't introduce anything that doesn't already exist – sharing items, posting comments, sending IMs. Maybe the ability to leave a wave is new, and something I have wished I could do many times after comment on a Facebook item only to be notified 110 times that someone else commented too.

The idea that Google is marketing it as a new communications protocol has sparked a lot of conversation about this becoming a new standard that could perhaps replace email. That will be interesting and it will affect deliverability since it is a new inbox with new rules for interactions. It will definitely have to be considered if the Google Wall – er Wave – becomes as ubiquitous as googles other services.

13. Michael F
    October 1, 2009 at 11:17 am #

Deliverability hell.
    Google will impose its own standards, regular RFC will get replaced, and MTA vendors, ESPs and in-house mailers will have to deal with implementation of multiple standards, some new signing technology (DKIM for Wave? I dont think so) and this will end up costing everyone.
    Innovative? Not so sure, for once it relies heavily on HTML5 and they could not even get video standard in due to license issues. So what remains is the near-instant (according to demo) chat-like messages with some pretty drag and drop for attachments.
    I would not be surprised if Wave just splashes around like Chrome did, before diving down. At least as far I as I see, corporates won't move, they are too to adopt anyway and like to see other try first.

Now, having said all this, I'd still like to see an invite! :)

14. Cope
    October 1, 2009 at 11:23 am #

I'd say your suggestion that Wave will be used for conversations while "regular" e-mail will still be used for automated or mundane messages is spot-on. I'm looking forward to augmenting my interactions by using Wave, but I'm not counting on it immediately rendering Twitter, FaceBook, and other social media out-of-date.

15. Rob S.
    October 1, 2009 at 12:02 pm #

I doubt e-mail will go away for conversations and just be used for process. Other SM tools are making some inroads in becoming very e-mail-like, though (Facebook and Twitter DMs, etc.).

I'm an undergraduate college recruiter, and I'm curious how Wave will play out in the college recruiting space, and with the 16-18 year old demographic.

I consider myself an early adopter (mass e-mail marketing for recruiting: 1997; IM for recruiting: 1999, etc.) but also know that some technologies are not worth the effort.

In the case of Wave, effort can be somewhat passive in terms of recruiting (similar to IM in that respect; include in e-mail signatures, business cards, profile pages) so I'm definitely planning to give it a shot.

In terms of in-office and inter-office collaboration, I'm excited about the potential with the tech-savvy folks I interact with. Not sure others will bite unless it becomes norm-ish in usage.

16. Rebeca Trautner
    October 1, 2009 at 2:26 pm #

I'm imagining email transforming into something more like a forum, where waves ripple out like each quoted response in a forum thread – part of me hopes that functionality is improved and eye pleasing characteristics are not sacrificed.

17. Len Shneyder
    October 1, 2009 at 7:05 pm #

I don't know, if I'm clear on what wave is it's a really big cool googlified widget. Philosophically it positions itself as being completely different than any other communication medium/aggregating mechanism that has come before. However, part of me feels that in the end its still one really big widget. Will users abandon the look and feel of their other widgets and messengers for a new one? That's quite a commitment. Just this week I upgraded to the new Trillian, I was on that old one for like way too long and I like to think I like new technology, but lets face it we are all creatures of habit. How hard will it be to pick up the new WAVE habit? hm?

18. Tristan Juricek
    October 2, 2009 at 1:43 am #

Basically, every electronic medium turns into a chat format one way or another. (How many times have I seen @replies on twitter go back and forth?) From what I understand, Wave is basically Jabber on steriods. So conversation is at it's core, which is The Right Thing To Do.

But at the same time you have broadcasting. And I think better, customized wave/mail broadcasts will replace most of my headline grabbing. While yes, I'm a Reader user, I'm finding great newsletters popping up. And I'd rather have a great edited newsletter than 1000+ RSS feeds. Way easier to do the whole "just bring the iPhone on the train" sort of thing.

Being able to take a broadcast and spin conversations off of it to would be a game-changer.

19. Scott Hardigree
    October 2, 2009 at 10:08 am #

If anything adoption will be slow, especially in the business area. On the other hand, if any one org could implement a universal communication system it would be Google.

20. Bill Chirrick
    October 2, 2009 at 4:51 pm #

At the very least you are still going to need email to notify people invited to a wave but don't have a Google Wave account. I think Google Wave will be very useful in certain situations but email will always be around for what it does best.

21. Jon D
    October 5, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

Deliverability becomes even more tied to whether it get seen or not. But since it gets seen more in the context of the 'conversation' then wanted messaging will be seen more and will likely be tied to deliverability and unwanted messages will be further sidelined.

22. Jerico T
    October 13, 2009 at 9:06 am #

I think email will still be here to stay, at least for the next few years. Email providers provide a subset of the services Google Wave does and they do so excellently. It's possible that Google Wave will be able to gain some followers, but it's going to be take some time before that happens.

23. Philip Imperato
    November 4, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

Hey, I was wondering if you still were offering this invite?

24. batterie
    November 9, 2009 at 4:43 am #

I am amongst those who were invited to the first wave of Google Wave invites. But i am happy to know that word on the street is that there will be another round of invites to be sent out in the upcoming days. A wave can be both a conversation and a document where people can discuss and work together using richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more.

UA-9835597-1